Living The Fitness Lifestyle Series - Part Two
PART TWO: Quit The Quick Fix
Everyone loves a quick fix when it comes to nutrition. Mainly from diets that guarantee short term results like:
- Raw Food Diets
- Liquid Diets
- Detox/Cleanses Teas
- Blood Type Diets
- The Cookie Diet
- The Grapefruit or Cabbage Diets
One of the keys to living the fitness lifestyle, is balance. A quick fix 98% of the time is something that you cannot sustain for a long period of time. Normally with lots restrictions and unusual food choices. A lot of fad diets are created by companies that promote; “life changing, magic products, with special ingredients”. These are sold to spur short-term weight loss that has no scientific backing. By following these diets and their protocols we deprive ourselves of essentials nutrients. Doing this can lead to serious health conditions like heart disease, high blood pressure and osteoporosis.
The body doesn’t respond well to these types of diets. Especially after the short-term goal is been and gone, when you turn back to your normal diet and normal life. Making healthier choices is going to be crucial to living the fitness lifestyle.
Your body responds best to whole foods. Processed foods are something that we should try to avoid as much as possible. But this is not always the case. Some products can be implemented into our diets depending on our health conditions.
Supplementation can also beneficial. Remember supplements are for situations where whole foods are not available. But if you are able to get food in, then that is the best option.
A Few Simple Tasks
- Work on Portion Control - Serving sizes over the years have gotten larger and larger. A lot of the time the problem is sometimes not what we eat but the amount in which we eat. Opt for smaller portions, more often.
- Say no to bad fats - Avoid trans fats from processed, fried or fast foods and snacks. Saturated fats are only bad for us in very high quantities so minimise the amount of saturated fat in your diet.
- Think about the long-term - Give yourself time to reach your long-term goals as to avoid the fast weight loss. Remember that fast weight loss is not necessarily good weight loss. Aim for longevity for overall health benefits.
- Eat your 5+ a day In order to get your essential vitamins and minerals, remember to get your minimum 5 a day serving of fruit and veg throughout the day.
Make Time To Eat
One of the main reasons for fad diets is to make eating and nutrition easier. But in order really live the fitness lifestyle your must put time and effort into what you are putting into your body. The body needs fuel to survive, just like a car. Fill it with the right fuel and you will run efficiently but fail to fuel it and your body respond with drops in performance focus and drive. So always, always make time to eat and fuel yourself.
Look out for Part Three coming soon....
Until next time.